Saturday, April 24, 2021

Buhay Pandemia: Pagkaing Halaman

Started plant-based dieting. In February, my blood chem showed elevated LDL and even uric acid. That puzzled me as I’ve been confining my meat to chicken breast 70% of the time. And I noticed how my weight has not been going down to desirable levels. 

Implementing the shift was quite easy. I have a sister and her family who have been vegan for many years now. She has done much research into it. And there are more food choices than ever before.  I also reached out to two friends for tips.  Besides, I’m plant-based only as I still eat eggs and dairy products.


Best is that I have a supportive sister (another Ate) who manages our household. She herself would do the research and order stuff online. And she instructs the cook on how to prepare. The cook has been experimenting with home-cooked meals using tofu, soy-based protein sources, mushroom-based or even textured vegetable protein. 


Some Hits: Estofado, Pochero, Adobo, Eggplant parmigiana (picture) Miss: Sweet & Sour Tofu. 



Another peculiarity: I still count calories and avoid starchy carbs. Yup, no rice, bread, noodles (or very limited). Lots of vegetables, fruits. And as I still workout heavily (another post), I have vegan-based protein supplement and I load up on Vit B, esp B12. 


3 weeks into this and I have lost 3 lbs. Still off target weight but the trajectory is encouraging. Not missing meat... yet. Despite mealtimes with the family where there is still meat on the table. 


Eager to have my blood chem next month to see how the diet has affected the values.

No comments: