Monday, November 30, 2020

Buhay Pandemya: Buhay Tabing-dagat

I could have been locked down here on the beach house. My last trip here was March 12, Thursday, with some officemates. We attended an official function in Subic and proceeded to the beach house for lunch. There was already talk of an impending lockdown announcement. The announcement came the following day. But the real strict lockdown imposed March 16.

I was romanticizing being locked down here. Imagine being marooned on a beach setting! Sunrise over the mountains that gently illumine the sand and sea. And of course, the sunset, the glorious sunset. 

But the downsides... erratic internet (how could I have actually continued working from home?). I needed to have cash on hand as the only ATM here is maintained by a rural bank. And there were many restrictions on movement. Finally, I couldn’t be away from Nanay back in San Juan.

However, there will come a time when I would or could actually retire here. I bought a piece of farm land about 5 mins by car away. The produce from there could sustain me, sustain us. I’ll probably see if I could get a stint teaching in the rural college. That would be quaint. 

I’ll have to plan the medical emergency part. I’d look for a primary care doctor with links to the hospitals in Subic Bay. Just in case.    

I wonder if I can spend my final days here, too, ala “Beaches”. But my ashes would still have to be brought back to San Juan, at the columbary of my parish church. 

Being here just gives me all these feels. Good morning.


No comments: