Sunday, March 10, 2019

End of An Era 2: The Help

In a span of one quarter, two of our long-staying household help will have resigned. Carmen stayed with us for 21 years, Joy for about 12 years.

Carmen was so petite when she first worked for us, just turning 20yo then. She was referred by Nanay’s friend. Her family has been working for them for a while now. And she needed work. She eventually became the cook, learning from Nanay and from my Ates the dishes we grew up with. We also enrolled her in some cooking classes. This greatly expanded her skills.

She left to take care of her ailing Nanay, as she is the only unmarried one who could.

Joy started when she was in her teens. She used to be yaya to one of my nephews. When my brother and his family migrated to Auckland, we took her in. She became my ‘personal assistant’, assigned to take care of my needs particularly. She is spirited and able-bodied but she can also be very forgetful. She has received a number of scoldings from me.

She will be getting married soon and going back to her hometown to start a new life.

I will always have a soft spot for our household help. Growing up, they were always there for us, assisting Nanay in the day-to-day. But beyond that, I got to know many of them on a personal level. As they knew about us, about me very intimately.

I used to even felt offended for them if my Nanay would scold them. I would speak out in their defense. And sometimes, Nanay would take it against me. Haha.

Both of them gave us unparalleled service, dedication and loyalty. I could trust them with money. Beyond that, they have developed such ‘malasakit’ for us, for my parents that they hesitated to leave. But they have their own lives to lead and I wish them well.

And they know that they could always approach me for whatever they may need. For they may have started as employees, but they leave as family.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: