Monday, July 21, 2008

Thoughts on a Sad Story

Young, Gay and Murdered

Kids are coming out younger, but are schools ready to handle the complex issues of identity and sexuality? For Larry King, the question had tragic implications.

Somebody forwarded to me this Newsweek article. I am deeply saddened by what happened. This young gay (15yo), a baklita in our barkada's lingo, was murdered in broad daylight inside a classroom. He was shot dead by a classmate.

It's a long article. And I am not happy with the way the story is slanted. Because the little gay was quite dysfunctional growing up, it's like as if he asked for it. Well, that is my take on the article.

But on another note, I do notice how kids are really coming out at a younger age, blatantly and even militantly. I always thought that such was a good thing. I hated having to go through the proverbial 'identity crisis' in my teens. I am even impressed that these young people have sorted this out early on. And they are waving the rainbow flag high. And that also means a lot of them are already sexually active. And falling in love and having relationships.

I was out in high school, but only within the school. I couldn't hide in the closet anyway, even if I wanted to. I was just so identified with the 'badings' of the school. And we had the privilege of being dated by our straight classmates. We led a charmed life. We found love.

But Larry King, the kid in the article, is the horror side of the same story. Instead of enjoying the freedom to be himself, he found hate. And death. I am inclined to dismiss this is as 'America is just so dysfunctional.' But who knows whether it is really just a matter of time when such incidents reach local shores? Is our matriarchal, 'tolerant' attitude really protecting us from such hate crimes? Or will further 'westernization' of our culture lead to breeding hate criminals?

Even as homosexuality has become more accepted, the prospect of being openly gay in middle school raises a troubling set of issues. Kids may want to express who they are, but they are playing grown-up without fully knowing what that means. At the same time, teachers and parents are often uncomfortable dealing with sexual issues in children so young. Schools are caught in between. How do you protect legitimate, personal expression while preventing inappropriate, sometimes harmful, behavior?

I quote this from the article. And I fully agree with the fact that sexual orientation is a very grown-up matter. Though our hormones rage early on, figuring out sexual preference takes maturity. Because such preferences have much responsibility and consequences. And this is what a lot of young people may not know early on. This naivete could actually be deadly.

So i pause for a short while from the escapades and realize that I am lucky. And that i take this life choice of mine seriously. And that this is an informed choice I have made. Though I often used to ask whether I really had a choice here, I have to own up to my lifestyle and my preferences and say that "I made them"! and because of that I am proud.

7 comments:

Crap Newsman said...

Oh, I wouldn't worry much. As long as we beat the crap out of our kids with a meter long rattan cane whenever they misbehave, our society will continue to be sane.

Anonymous said...

I always thought that America was a conservative country trying to be liberal and that Philippines is actually liberal trying to be conservative.

This is a clear indication that there is something horribly wrong with their society on several levels. (1) There seems to be so much hate and (2) how easy it is for some of them to express it in such a brutal manner. Remember this was not the only incident of a school shooting in the US....it just so happened that this recent one's target was a gay student. If it wasn't about him being gay it would have been someone else being too noisy, too intelligent, too smelly...too whatever. As I see it anything could have been the trigger.
So the question is do we let fear and hate drive us? I'd rather not.

closet case said...

hey borg_queen! spare the rod, spoil the child, eh? yes, maybe.. =)

hi lobster! true, true. so easy it is to 'express one's self' in the U.S., which includes express anger or hate... extremely. my question: is this really just THEIR society?

Crap Newsman said...

Yes. It is really just their society. Do realize that they like to sue each other over whether creationism should be taught in certain states or not (and they make a big fuss about prayers in classrooms and the ten commandments in courthouses) while here religious teachers have no problem with it and effeminate homos are welcome to decorate Catholic churces (as the case with my friends.) Simply put American society is that pathetic. The advantage we have (and Canada's) is that we keep comparing ourselves to them. We like to emulate them but we also are aware of what is wrong with their society (like dumping your folks in a nursing home) and we consciously avoid copying that, thus ending with a more family-oriented society (Oh, yes! You can thank the Yanks for some great aspects of Pinoy culture.) It's only the glamour and sophistication that we want from them, not their sick stuff.

Ming Meows said...

bakit may baril na nakapasok sa paaralan nila?
hindi naba sila natuto?

Joaqui said...

Our youth may not have the gun to kill gay kids but they have very sharp words that could lead to a fate similar or even worse than death.

Good thing, being from a poor country, resiliency is a natural trait for us.

closet case said...

thanks, borg_queen! your thoughts make me hopeful! =)

walang kadala-dala, ming meows. wawa naman

true, true, joaqui_miguel. sharp, piercing words. but they drive some of us to excellence... just to prove them wrong. thanks!