Wednesday, March 17, 2010

movietime

traveling affords me the luxury of catching up on films like these two. yeah, its a tiny screen. and poor resolution. but then again, im not watching avatar or alice in wonderland so this should be enough. (i dont need to see the pores and wrinkles of george clooney. if i did, i would have waited for the blu ray. lol)



precious made me teary eyed. seriously. when mariah finally interviews mo'nique about the physical and sexual abuse, tears were beginning to well up. to be subjected to such sexual abuse by your father, your own father. and then all that physical and continuing emotional abuse from your own mother. good grief.

i have met a lot of plu's who have undergone molestation early in their lives. some of them felt that odd mix of shame and pleasure. and curiously, not all of them felt anger towards their abuser. one friend, however, confided in me how that experience scarred him as he was growing up. and i could only feel how he was feeling. thankfully, he has moved on, has liberated himself from the experience.

pretty much like precious. who found the inner strength to just accept, move on and do better for her kids. i love it that precious is no scruffy-looking-but-actually-drop-dead-gorgeous-type. she is plain, obese, unattractive even. she wasnt going to let her growing up experiences, society's beauty norms dictate that she will be a failure all her life. no way.

ultimately, her triumph is superbly inspiring.


up in the air. starts out as an aspirational movie for me. LOL. ryan is always on the move, never to get attached. a whole philosophy built on being free from baggage. about not needing anyone on that level.

but i am serious about this being quite aspirational for me. i wish i could actually live a life without all these romantic notions of relationships and commitment. i wish i could actually meet alex, ryan's alter ego, with a vagina. it's all about enjoying the moment, having fun, being smart and witty and sexy. and its all over, till the next encounter. the ultimate fubu.

of course, the story complicates from there on. and ryan reveals that he may not have entirely swallowed, hook, line and sinker, his own philosophy. and when he succumbs and decides otherwise, harsh reality shatters the illusion.

so even ryan, with his paradigms and lifestyle, actually yearns for the same sappy things as cc. and sadly, he also doesnt get his happy ending.

well, if he only believed what he was saying himself, it wouldnt have come to that.

i wonder. will cc ever get to that point and truly stop believing in all things romantic? will cc ever reach that understanding that he is not meant to be involved, ever? and this is really as good as it gets?

7 comments:

itsMePeriod said...

ive been looking forward to watch the movie precious..hoping it could help in liberating me from the ghosts of my past

MkSurf8 said...

lately, I only get to watch movies 30,000 feet above. I liked Up in the Air so much that I watched it twice on a recent flight to Bangkok. Somehow I find affinity to clooney's character though I dont believe that relationships are life's heaviest components. I refuse to be called a shark. I am a swan! :) lol!

Georg said...

precious will liberate you. and i am proposing to cc for a hook up.

Ming Meows said...

perhaps you need one great sex

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

serial said...

Up in the Air is now my fave movie. As the movie progressed, I felt like I was George Clooney. I travel often but not a lot. I profile people when I get in line in the airport. I travel light. I save miles and not use it (smartest thing everyone should do). and I think I share with him his beliefs on relationships. What is the point of it? And i love it when he found out that she had a family. What was the point of going there? What was the point of putting out that effort? What was the point of all that happened before that? To love and learn? Baloney. We are all gonna die in 2012(hehe) and none of these will matter!

Anonymous said...

you're an escape...a break from a normal life...you're a parenthesis...panalo ang line na to!!!!