Friday, April 30, 2010

the 40 yo body

at a recent dinner of 30 somethings AND me, one of them asked me pointblank: cc, how does it feel to be in your 40's? i mean, im dreading the day i become 40, no offense!

i felt like some kind of guru surrounded by disciples.

Aaaah. the fear of 40. seriously, i didnt go through that emo crap. i have never lied about my age, never felt the need to. im comfortable with my age so i never 'dreaded' that day. of course, i celebrated that. i was still with my ex. and it was a milestone for me.

But i could understand where you are coming from. you are all fit and fabulous. you've always felt that way and have done as much to keep feeling that way. and you are all wondering now how things will change when you step into the 40's.

yes, i am feeling changes. but nothing abrupt. i began noticing it at 41 - 42.

1st it's the eyesight. you slowly lose the ability to read and see up close. i was in denial till i borrowed my sister's glasses and saw such clarity!

then metabolism. the little craving you indulge in somehow ends up in your gut. nowhere else but there. what you could probably burn in an hour's cardio then will now take you two or more.

my strength lifting weights has diminished. im having a hard time topping my previous records for bench press, squats, etc. and there seems to be much more effort now.

i wont get into the wrinkles etc. im not conscious of it, never was. so i cant compare. ill need friends to tell me that.

again, this is my body. this is my observation. but for those who'd want to know...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

everyone will get there at some point, if they are lucky. accept it but keep fit, healthy and involved - that's my motto.

Anonymous said...

Im fit, clean and confident with my looks with good job and im in my early 30's. I needed to be stable and confident so i focus on my personal life and work. But now it so hard to meet people and im still shy in asking people to go out for a date

Nimmeru@yahoo.com said...

deadma sa age. HOT ang body mo. :)

Ming Meows said...

how bout the erection? still strong i guess

Felipe said...

You're one of the hottest 40-something that I know. Sa totoo lang, mas mabenta ka than most of us.... obviously. Hehehe.

Rawr!

Anonymous said...

Do you also experience that frightening reality -- decreasing libido and/or shrinking pototoy?
.
(Just curious po.)

closet case said...

@anonymous (both of you) true. most would reach this point. sadly not all. some didn't even get to this age. for you who has built that confidence, why are you still shy?

@nimrod @felipe thanks. it takes so much more to keep it this way.

@ming_meows and another @anonymous funny i actually blocked this most important item about aging! another post!

Quentin X said...

I intend to be fabulous when I am 40. Bring it on!

arkin said...

40-ish is hot. err, for babies like me, maybe. haha

Richard said...

Im 44 -- turning 45 soon. When I was in in my 20s I wondered what its like to be old -- i.e., over 40. I was fearful of getting weak, wrinkled and unattractive. But as I got older, the things that matter changed too. I am no longer as conscious of how I look as how I feel. Although many people say I look good for my age, my career accomplishments, the friendships I have established and maintained, the family I am close to -- those are the things that make me feel good now. So what if eyesights get poorer, so what if libido decreases, but is life becoming more fulfilling? definitely. I would never go back to being in my 20s -- I was poor and unfocused then. The adage that we get better with age has never been truer.