Wednesday, January 19, 2011

borderless friendships?

im at a jollibee branch (cc in jollibee?! that's another story. hehe) waiting for my order that seems to be taking forever. i notice a tall, well-dressed guy (*ting*) of average looks looking at me (*ting*ting). deadma lang. another glance and i see him still looking at me, as he waited for his order at the counter. deadma again.

hi, cc. you are cc, right? i nod. surprised. out of words.

hi! im neil.

ahmm. have we met before? i asked, still perplexed.

well, sa facebook. i added you up.


oh! i smiled. i laughed. nervous laughter. are you mggff? my brain is trying to flip through all those fb profiles in memory. neil.. neil.. neil..

no. i just saw you and added you up. he smiled.

and when i saw you, i somehow recognized you.

oh great. sorry. i didnt connect agad. naiinis ako kasi tagal ng order ko.
an excuse for not totally recognizing him.

ill send you a message so you'll know who i am.

wonderful. well, ill check na rin when i get to the office. sige, keep in touch. thanks.


and yet another story.

a twitter follower DM'd me. hey i saw you in gbelt v. i wanted to say hi.

kaso you were far na.


there are no strangers. just friends you havent met.

such a cliche. but now so real. what all this social networking sites have done is to open me up to 'friends-in-waiting'. (for some, this could mean 'stalker-to-be'. but i choose to be more positive. hehe)

and for some of them, it's like they know me na. they could recognize me based on the pictures (i suppose that's credit to me that my pics are current and unaltered. LOL). now that sort of throws me off, too. as if we've met. but we haven't really.

i still draw the line. i haven't met you yet if we haven't met offline. especially after my mr ripley episode, i have become firm about this dictum. regardless if we exchange messages. take it offline to become true acquaintances. and develop the friendship from there.

but nevertheless, i feel flattered for the effort to say hi to me.

thanks, neil.

8 comments:

Desperate Houseboy said...

Wow, celebrity status ka na sir. Anyways, kapag nakita kita, papa autograph ako . mwah :)

Isip bata said...

wow!...mas sikat ka na ata kay kris aquino ngayon...LOL btw ur blog really help me a lot(career,boys...etc)
keep blogging cc

-cheers-

paci said...

ako siguro di kaagad nakakarecognize ng tao kahit ilang milyong pics na ang nakita ko online. hahaha. something wrong with my eyes or i am just plain oblivious to the world. heehee.

Mac Callister said...

teka san ko ba makikita ang pix mo?hahaha

Noah G said...

celebrity nga :) ahaha.

Ming Meows said...

the question is would you still recognize me if we meet again?

Twitter Follower said...

HAHA it felt weird reading about myself on your blog. I pledge to say "hi" and introduce myself next time I see you :)

growing_up said...

The hard part of being a celebrity or becoming famous, privacy.

With today's tools like facebook and blogs, more and more people are trying to find ways to build their social network. Like in your case 'cc' you were shocked when a cetain guy greeted you (I would also react the same way).

But one thing I also thought of today while typing this message was being single is no fun at all. I was an introvert way back until I started to learn about social skills 2 years ago. And it was 3 months ago when my colleague opened an FB account for me. I never had a gay relationship (since i don't look like Piolo hhehe). I guess having a borderless friendship can sometimes open an opportunity for acquaintance but can be alarming if it endangers your privacy.