Wednesday, April 6, 2011

appreciating opera

this is a work in progress. and pc has a lot to do with it. im amazed at how much he knows about operas. apparently, his lolo taught him how to listen and appreciate the beauty of this music form at a very tender age. and combined with his opportunities for travel and knack for research and information-searching, he has developed a deep knowledge and appreciation of opera.

my own exposure has been limited. i have an aunt who is actually a coloratura soprano, who married a tenor. she continues to teach voice and used to lead a chorus. but i never got to really watch her perform. (and that remains to be one of my frustrations) my dad, of course, listens to opera. he loves mario lanza, enrico caruso, and as of late, the more popular tenors (pavarotti, placido, etc). but he doesn't indulge in listening to it as often because of work. and because this is just one of the many music forms he appreciates.

i did have a chance to 'star' in an operetta when i was hmm 11 or 12yo. i was a soprano and that aunt of mine produced "amahl and the night visitors" with me as the understudy to my cousin for the lead role (i think i mentioned this previously). but that was a one-hit wonder! LOL hit daw!

now that i have embarked on the painstaking journey towards classical singing, im beginning to appreciate the music form. im slowly exposing myself to more arias and choruses. and now that i know how difficult it is to learn the technique, i am truly appreciating this all the more.

and that includes learning to listen to beautiful foreign languages (italian, german) and getting the translations to understand. and the internet has just made it so easy.

i guess in this ripe old age of mine, it is just high time for me to truly go back to the classics...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

johnet said...

I went through a symphony phase, then ballet phase, then opera. I slowed down now but for sheer pleasure I go back to Bach's and Mozart's works.

Grant said...

The first opera I watched was Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro" staged by the students of the college of music in the american university I was studying at. Though it didn't have an subtitles, the way by which the singers sang the song with actions and emotions I was able to understand what was going on despite the opera being sung in Italian. Music indeed is a universal language.

matt said...

HAHA i remember my 2 sisters were also part of an Amahl production in CCP like 10 years ago! and i'll never forget how envious i was of the boy playing Amahl cos he was my age. HAHA :)) that's amusing!