Wednesday, March 28, 2007

my faith.. explained

its palm sunday. we begin Holy Week, a defining week for Catholics. it has put me in the right mood to be introspective. moreover, something about the comments on my post "feasting and abstinence" made me think - what is my "faith"? what do i believe in? funny but i have never tried to put this down into words, largely taking 'believing' for granted. (what do you take me for, granted?)

I believe

- in God, a Father to me, to all of Creation. Benevolent Creator. I believe in some power much, much greater than me. I cannot believe that all the happens in this world is an accident. There is logic, there is order though the wisdom of this may be beyond me to comprehend. And that's why I call it faith.
- in Jesus. The Father's Son. He is my Teacher. He is my Lord. Through the New Testament, He teaches me to live a better, more fulfilling life. Very difficult at times. Sigh.
- I was born this way... made this way.. gay, for a reason or for a host of differet reasons. Foremost is to take care of my parents in their twilight years. the least I could to for all the sacrifice they made for me.
- that though the Bible is explicit about homosexual behavior as sinful, I believe that the sin lies in sex and sexual behavior devoid of 'love', purely for passion, or recreation. It is not so much the gender of those involved but the attitude behind the act. I should be treating people as people, as human beings. I fail to treat them right if I have sex with people I do not even love.

So I struggle. I believe in these things but I struggle with putting these into practice. Well, lately, I have been 'abstaining'. Been two weeks now. Maybe, just maybe I could sustain it

6 comments:

iknw_now2 said...

I would like you to know that your being a gay doesn't change the fact that you are a very good person inside and out and I am just one of those fortunate person to have witnessed that in so many ways. Hope you stay happy cause in that way you are also making me happy..

joelmcvie said...

Hmmm. Unlike you, I believe in recreational sex. If there is no option for proceational sex (like with gay people), then what is sex for them? I believe it can be: [1] an expression of love, of giving of oneself to another; [2] recreational, a form of release of sexual energies. Why do we feel so bad about sex, anyway? It's our rigid Catholic training, that's why. Our religion has made us too scared of sex. If we look at other societies and other religions, they're not as hung up on sex as we Catholics. I believe that so long as two consenting adults come/cum together with mutual respect towards each other and the people "around" them, then sex can happen. Recreational sex is like playing tennis or badminton. Both of you have fun, sweat it out, and get exercise in the process. Provided no one is getting hurt, is that really a bad act?

A.Dimaano said...

I looooove this specific post. All I can say is ... AMEN!

closet case said...

AMEN to all of you... ultimately, what we subscribe to... what we believe in... and how close or how far we are from those ideals and beliefs will make or unmake our lives, the peace we all wish to have... i may be very far from this ideal, and in the process sometimes miserable, but the ideal also drives me to be better and better everytime, to stand up everytime I fall... or sink.

closet case said...

sink i did... hay. couldnt resist an offer from a crush to have an afternoon delight. hay.

Anonymous said...

REading old post, walang magawa, hehehe. Ganda ur CREDO ah! Hey, d Mcvie has a point,hehehhe!