Saturday, February 6, 2010

the hardinero in me

i never thought id actually enjoy doing this.

since i started buying plants for the new house, particularly those for the peace of sky (POS), ive been bitten by the gardener's bug. its amazing how de-stressing gardening could be. every morning, i spent some time with the plants, misting their leaves (the gardener usually has watered them). my landscape architect-friend encourages me to talk to them. so i do. i tell them about my sexcapades. LOL. seriously, i do say hi to the plants. he chose perennially flowering plants for the POS. and its been so exciting seeing the plants start to grow and bloom.

everyday, i notice something new. a new growth here. a bud showing up there. and it gives me such immense joy. truly! my friend is pleasantly surprised to see the plants acclimatized so soon to the new home. plants do go through some 'shock' transferring from the soil they were used to, to the new environment. sometimes 'nagtatampo' muna.

but my plants seem to have a very short learning curve! i already see the buds coming out, new leaves in different places. so beautiful...

signs of old age, maybe? hahaha but then again, i wouldnt mind growing old in the company of these plants... when they are in full bloom, ill start to post some pics!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sight it would be...to see you talking to your plants.

Lemmescrewu said...

Good Morning!

I've only recently started reading your blog, and I must say, I'm now addicted. I've been trying to read from the start and am now in the Oct 2008 entries. ehehe.

I, too, have always wanted a patio or roofdeck where I can cultivate a garden. I'm saving up to have a house I've been designing constructed in a provincial lot I recently completed payment on. But my mom's encouraging me to just add a new structure in the family lot as she's planning to leave the whole thing to me, rather than to a troubled sibling.

Landscape architect? Makes me think of that guy in a Reese Witherspoon movie who did a magnificent roofdeck gardern for her.

I'm rambling. Cheers!

dr magsasaka said...

Aha. Now you have discovered something a lot of us have always known.
I collect endemic Philippine orchids. They're in a farm. In my house, ferns do quite well, and they are very forgiving.

I am not aware of foliar misting being of much benefit to plants. Maybe it does to yours.

closet case said...

hello dr farmer. just starting to discover the quiet joy of it all. the misting helps me more than it helps the plants, i think. lol.

Chinese Adobo said...

I got hooked with gardening since my dad had quite an interest in it. If you got the patience, planting edible plants will give you an enormous amount of fulfillment. Like tonight, nagharvest ako ng lettuce from plants grown in pots. Yum :) hehehe