Thursday, February 25, 2010

running... again


suddenly, they are everywhere. runners and fun runs. half marathons, full marathons, 10K at lahat ng K.

it used to be just a group of people i'd see in quezon memorial circle, in up, along roxas blvd. sure there have always been fun runs. but only the really serious runners went to these regularly.

now everybody seems to be running. so many bloggers run, and runners blog.

i actually used to enjoy running. i love feeling the breeze, hearing the music. i love passing the scenery, whether sunrise or sunset. i used to run leisurely (more of jog) in qmc early mornings. sometimes, i get more than just sweat. i pick up a few runners too. hehehe but that was before, when i still had the resolve to wake up early.

i'd do the treadmill in fitness but i get bored easily. it's just one scene im looking at. then pain started to happen. i painfully realized that i was running with my flat feet in the wrong shoes, in the wrong way. so i gave it up.

about two years back, my brother in law introduced me to chi running. and after putting off reading that for more than a year, i finally finished it and realized i could run again, despite my flat feet.

and with the strict form and focus of chi running, i started doing it again.

i am slowly building up my mileage and even my pace. im not going to rush into it and injure myself again. i know, i know... i aint young no more.

now im rediscovering the love of running (ok, fine, maybe fast paced jogging lol). running in up during sunset, on that acacia-lined oval could really be so wonderful.

this solo sport is really just me against myself. it's pushing me to improve every time, to be focused, to tune out and zone in. each run is an accomplishment, if you beat certain personal bests. and i havent even started to mention the health gains and the calories burned.

no, you won't see me joining any runs yet. im too oc-oc id probably worry myself to death preparing for it. right now, it's just me, my music and that oval. and going for better everytime.

12 comments:

gbic said...

"just me, my music and that oval"?

are you sure? i'm quite certain you'll be checking out everyone who's running, too =)

Anonymous said...

amazing stuff thanx :)

Ming Meows said...

wag kalimutan mag stretch!

Guyrony said...

Hehe, do you still run every tuesday and thursday at ______? :)

VICTOR said...

It seems a lot of bloggers are into running these days. I wonder if there's an analogy. :D

Felipe said...

i envy you. my knees wont allow me to run. :(

Ming Meows said...

happy Birthday cc!

Menthos said...

yeah runs and marathons do seem to spread like mushrooms nowadays. but it's all good. at the very least people are being health conscious.

been wanting to start running (or fast paced jogging as you call it) myself. I just can't seem to find the push I need to start.

Martin said...

Belated Happy Birthday :) haha, I don't have your fb but someone told me it was your birthday yesterday.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Oi CC, you can get customized shoes that are for flat feet and contrary to popular belief its not expensive. Mave got himself checked out before for it.... Also check out ASICS shoes, they have the best shoes for running. Pricey yes, but you can afford it and you can't really skimp on good shoes when you run. It will change your world. :P

*Used to run.... and your right everyone seems to be doing it so I kind of shy away from it these days... Sad thing is, I talk to a lot of these people and they don't take proper care of their knees when they do and just run.... :(

casado said...

nothing beats the feeling right after you've run for about an hour..i do run around mile sq park 2x a week...:)

jamie da vinci! said...

not saying i'm an authority in it, but i cringe at the sights and sounds of ppl running with bad form and using the wrong gear. i could only imagine what sort of damage they're doing to their bodies by not learning first the right ways of doing things. anyway, that's just me and my OC-ness. run with us one of these days, CC. would be nice to learn chi-running too!