Tuesday, March 15, 2011

musical journey begins

just finished my second voice lesson. finally got this 'to do before i expire' item. though i have had this at the back of my mind (even posted this before, methinks), how it finally started was so spur of the moment.

after getting tired of all the pop and dance playlists, i just shifted to my classical music playlist. it was a refreshing change, listening to orchestra and classical voice on the way to the office. then an impulse to just post an fb/tweeter shout out: im looking for a voice teacher, thinking nobody would take me seriously.

but many friends actually did! the comments and pm's started coming. i was in no hurry so i just took note of the names and the suggestions. but one friend went as far as calling the teacher he was wrote me about. and asked on my behalf about accommodating me! he excitedly called me up and gave me the teacher's details.

not wanting to sound half-hearted, i called up teacher and quickly set up a first meeting, a trial tutorial of sorts.

a performing tenor, teacher quickly wanted to establish my seriousness, my commitment and my musical inclination before he signed me in. that first lesson was already very informative. he was technical and cerebral abouit his approach. and he took pains to go into the anatomy of singing. he was strict, too, about form and posture. i knew right away i was going to learn from him. and he seemed to see enough hope in me to include me as a student.

so the journey officially began.

what is my objective? i want to be able to perform, to sing to friends, family and even clients when asked. no, not to mount my own concert. but i'd like to be able to develop this voice enough so i can confidently sing if i needed to, and if i wanted to.

and it could only be classical or operatic singing for me. i want to be a purist in this respect. i am also attracted to the beauty of the classics and the discipline needed to interpret with justice.

my dad was making fun of it, though. he still recalls my attempt to learn piano about 12 years back. and how i dropped it after a few sessions. so im guessing he thinks this will be a short-lived romance.

i hope not. well, it really is up to me, isn't it?

i've got my homework. just practice on a few pieces on my own. wait for him for the vocalizations. remember the lessons of today. much to learn and unlearn. this is going to be a long journey. it started with a single note.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

7 comments:

JC P said...

Send me a sample recording.

ONAI said...

Enjoy and good luck. Baka ikaw na ang Susan Boyle of the Philippines. I'm listening to some Beethoven now. Its a frustration of mine that I don't have any musical skills. Wish I had developed it when I was young. I failed as a Piano student. Iwanted to learn music - at least play an instrument piano or violin perhaps.

Nimmy said...

Sample! Sample! Sample! :)

closet case said...

@jcp will i even do a recording?? LOL

@onai how about voice???

@nimmy private audience? ;-)

ONAI said...

Di ko kaya mag voice makikinig nalang ako mas enthralled ako to play an instrument. Pun aside.

Anonymous said...

Let's sing together! :) lol

NAPADAAN :)

Ming Meows said...

videoke tayo minsan! :)