Thursday, October 10, 2013

At the Epicenter





I ventured into Castro district on my own. It was very easy, using the Muni system (subway this time), a couple of stops from Powell (Union Square). I was told that the area was practically dead or "gentrified". But walking along the streets at 530pm, I still saw many, many pink establishments, mainly restos, bars and shops catering to our distinguished tastes. And of course, our ates were all around. You get this sense that though it has mainstreamed, it is still haven and heaven for LGBT from wherever.

I choose a resto to eat and decided on something that seemed airy and non-intimidating. I walk in and happen to have chosen the resto dedicated to Harvey Milk, so politically appropriate. this is at the corner of 18th and Castro. And further up the 18th is Badlands, the only bar i have heard mentioned.






It just feels good to do some kind of pilgrimage to this gay mecca.

I also feel invisible. I am this small gay Asian tourist wandering their streets. And nobody minds me. I guess I haven't discovered the rice bars yet



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: