Friday, November 2, 2007

analyzing my LDR

Thanks to Tenchu, i analyzed my LDR based on the 10 tips of the article. I rated my LDR on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 as "followed to the letter"
1: Maintain an intimate satisfying relationship - 10 became 5
it started out very intimately but the communication limitations started to gag me. i didnt want to waste talk time with partner with the mundane stuff of my life. which, in a sense, form the gaps and fillers of intimacy. then, with my affairs, came a new dictum: less talk, less mistake. which was one of the main reasons i decided to disclose everything. honesty begets intimacy.
2: Socialize - 10
i maintained contact with family, our common friends, renewed old friends, made new ones (some of which started out as playmates). yet i felt the emotional loneliness... knowing that i could only truly connect with someone i am committed to... but this one i followed pretty well.
3: Find a confidant - 10
my ever-faithful, loving secretary became my sounding board, my kilig absorber, my therapist, my conscience, my protector...
4: Touching - 10 became 7
partner and i are very touchy-feely when he's around... a lot of hugging and kissing. except when we are at war. and sex... well that will come at tip 10. nevertheless, as i became more distant, there was less hugging and kissing. and i was getting it from other sources (playmates, affairs)
5: Take control - 1
this is where we failed most. partner kept on making promises of when he was coming back, both for a visit and for good. what was originally just a few months, stretched on to a year, became two years and still, no definite end in mind. and worse, there would be times i am expecting him to visit and he would cancel. i had no control anymore. i wasnt even consulted about this decision in the 1st place.
6: Positive Thinking - 5 became 3
I grew more pessimistic with each unkept promise.
7: View the separation as temporary - 2
related to Tip 5. it started out this way but there were just too many unkept promises. and what is temporary? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? i kept on asking him to come back. he had his reasons for not coming back yet.
8: Acknowledge each other's contributions - 4
i dont feel acknowledged enough for my part in maintaining the relationship, particularly the financial aspect of it. as the LDR progressed, i felt that everything i was doing was taken for granted.
9: Fuzzy poles - 6 became 0
i particularly like this Tip. And as i thought about it, i had a fuzzy pole - his picture at my bedside. he is so gwapo in his pic. and i would just stare at it before sleeping. but last july, during a major fight, he broke that frame to pieces. shattered was my fuzzy pole. and i havent had a replacement since.
10: keeping a healthy sex life apart - 8 became 0
though i am the promiscuous one, i still yearned for the good, great sex we have. only partner could push the right buttons, nibble on the right places, bite when needed... but eventually, even when he woud visit for a weekend, there would be no sex. just no time (or maybe interest) from his side.

additional rants: we didnt even take advantage of technology like webcams, 3G. despite having given him the webcam, the 3G phone, etc.

LDR's could work as this article shows how. Mine failed in 6 of 10 tips. Not irreparable. But a failure nonetheless.

People, learn from this.

No comments: