Friday, March 21, 2008

books im reading


i've started reading two books i got from my trip to NY: Mother Teresa's come be my light and Chi Running by Danny Dreyer. The book on Mother Teresa is subtitled "the Private Writings of the 'Saint of Calcutta'". This is a collection of her very private letters to her spiritual director, her friend-priests and some notes about herself. The collection was featured last year by Time Magazine due to the potential questions it would raise about her 'saintliness'. I am just in my 1st chapter so I cant comment yet. However, i asked my sister to give this book as a gift because i was curious about the spiritual void and darkness she supposedly suffered for years and years. To the outside world she continued to do all the beautiful works she did for the poor of Calcutta. Yet her interior life was a bundle of confusion, of pain.

the 2nd book was lent to me by my brother-in-law. Chi Running is a particular way of running that's supposedly 'injury-free'. it comes from eastern concepts of chi, balance and allowing your body to be in a relaxed, natural state. the paradigm is very different from western ideas of running, based on power and strength. i used to enjoy running, well more jogging than running. yet i begun to have all these foot and knee problems i had to stop. but ive started to embrace the principles of the book and have gotten back to running again.

what are you reading?

4 comments:

trey said...

hey cc! happy easter (in advance)!

shuffling between...

blink (malcolm gladwell)
the undomestic goddess (sophie kinsella)
like the flowing river (paulo coehlo)

closet case said...

happy easter, trey!

blink was great. tipping point, too (more for marketers like me)

i have just read one coehlo book. tell me if this one is good!

Anonymous said...

hey, fellow blogger Rob of Ryadh send dat mother teresa book for me thru mail! i just scanned d book and read some parts but haven't given 100 percent time reading it. haven't done it also during holy week kc dats a bc week for me. :(

closet case said...

really, Josh? so you also have a copy! great! we should compare notes!