Sunday, March 9, 2008

SATC: are you the marrying kind?



SATC Season 4, Episode its that heart-breaking episode when Aidan says goodbye with finality. primarily because Carrie didnt want to marry him... yet (maybe). funny but they were engaged, yet she couldnt commit to marrying him, to a wedding date. DATS posted this previously.

cut to yesterday morning. I was going to serve (as lector) at a wedding mass. the f**king groom arrived 40 minutes late for his own wedding. we were already wondering whether the guy had a change of heart. perhaps he didnt want to marry her? he chickened out? well all that became moot and academic when he did appear.

PLU that we are, marriage is one institution we don't have access to. we have some brave souls who are fighting to legalize this, or recognize it in one form or the other. but it's not happening, yet, maybe... i dont really know.



but suddenly i find my self wondering, if there was such a thing as gay marriage, would i actually get married?

knee jerk reaction would have been.. of course! but then again, isnt this just conditioning? perhaps we, even us PLUs, have been programmed to believe in marriage, so we take it in whatever form we could now - primarily through long-time companionship, joint ownership of property, business, etc.

but maybe like the way Carrie is wondering, not all of us are the marrying kind. not all of us have that marrying gene built in. and i look at my failed relationships and wonder, maybe im not the marrying kind. maybe i find ways to mess up my relationships so they dont end up lasting. hmmm. i really dont know.

how about you? are you the marrying kind? if gay marriage was legal, would you want to get married?

17 comments:

Quentin X said...

Hubby and I decided we are not getting married even if it becomes legal. As long as we love each other, we do not need a piece of paper the validate that.

Anonymous said...

i think that even if I am in a long term relationship (more than 10 years), I am not the marrying kind. I guess we would only be married to protect assets we have saved over the years but just that. I would have, during the first few years of our relationship, but now, I don't even think there is a need. With or without marriage, I think we would still want to be committed to each other.

Anonymous said...

As one wag would put it..." why get married and make one person miserable....when you can stay single and make so many happy?" =)

DC

Anonymous said...

If gay marriage was legal, I'd like to think that I'd get married someday. It's just a matter of committing to the person.

One thing that I think why many gay relationships fail is because there is a lack of an institutionalized recognition of our relationships. If you swore to God that you'd love each other for better or for worse yada yada, I think that a significant number of married gay people would try to work their problems out, don't you think?

Plus, very few people want to grow old alone. :(

Anonymous said...

no sireee, em not d marrying type! I just want to have someone, anyone (joke), hehehe

Anonymous said...

IF gay marriage is legal AND acceptable in God's eyes, YES, I would want to get married. To the right person (saan saan?).

trey said...

i would've said no before. now, it's a maybe! hehehe!

Anonymous said...

if gay marriage is legal, i don't think i'd get into it. it just seems weird.

pp

Dats said...

Yes I would consider it, what's the point of having the a long term relationship? whats next after that?...I mean its NOT only a piece of paper...that paper shows how valuable the relationship is, how brave of the couple are to engage into a REAL difficulties, and perhaps how true they are for each other...
if the society thinks otherwise then we must prove to them that gay relationship is normal and that we are indeed normal--that we have the right to get married! I must agree with Vince, the lack of recognition tends to be an excuse to PLAY around-maybe true or may be myth...but don't you agree?...
sigh, this issue makes me wanna DRINK!

closet case said...

great comments, people!

tally so far: almost even
YES I WOULD - 4
NO I WOULDNT - 5

it would be interesting to cross analyze this versus other parameters/demographics:
who among you are in relationships currently?
age range? below 30 or 30 & above?

frondizi said...

I would love to get married why not? but what is the purpose of marriage is it the union of two people loving each other witness by God and all the people that you love... I would love to get married but not for other reason. :D

John Halcyon von Rothschild said...

Only if I found the right guy. I think I'll know it when I meet "the ONE". Corny ba?!?! The trick is knowing when you've found "the ONE"

closet case said...

YES I WOULD - 6
NO I WOULDNT - 5

the yes people now outnumber the nay sayers!

nice, chris!

not corny at all, john! on a sad note, i thought my ex was 'THE ONE'... sigh....

Quentin X said...

The rate of divorse is just high amongst straight people. Gay men are no different. The institution of marriage was created at a time when average life span was a lot shorter. (N.B. the divorse rate in the Philippines is lower mainly because it is not allowed. There are certainly a lot of couples there that should split but can't.)
Having said that, I am actually pro-marriage only for the principle of equality.

mavey said...

not going to answer the yes or no question. to be either way is ok ... depending more on my partner. if he wants it, i would look forward to it. if he does not want it, i dont think we need it.

is kind of like icing on the cake. nice to have but can be bad for the tummy too.

any case what i wanted to comment on was, isnt it Sex In the City or SITC instead of SATC?

Carrie didnt agree to marry aidan i think because she was not ready and not sure if aidan is the one. and it would have put an end to the show prematurely.

given her on and off relationship with Big, and how the show ended (not giving any ending away am i?) i think not many of us are strong like carrie who gives in to lonelyness and just attach to who ever comes along and then after a show while breakup.

closet case said...

hey mavey! the show is Sex And the City (not in) ;)

yes, carrie was brave enough to say no, finally, to aidan, not unlike some of us desperate housewives! hehehe

Anonymous said...

to respectfully correct Quentin X life span is the same as it was hundreds of years ago... average life age has increased (due to a reduction in infant mortality)