Friday, December 12, 2008

density

we just had our li'l christmas party at the restaurant, the nano-enterprise. it was our first christmas celebration, and i even requested my family, our help to join us.

we had a few games before dinner. then some people started appearing, despite my instructions that this was a private affair. yes, they were all regular visitors, but not necessarily our big-volume clients. but i was surprised that even without invitation, these people just started hanging around. and started eating.

wow. i am amazed at the relative density of these beings. they really didnt care that they were not invited. they actually felt entitled to be a guest. i was disappointed and worried that the food we prepared may not even be enough for us.

i remember one post by lobster on 'entitlement'. he mentions exasperatingly the nerve of some people to feel entitled to benefits, without lifting a finger. i can't agree with him more.

ang kapal talaga ng mukha.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This also happened in my sister's wedding. When we reached the restaurant for the reception, we were surprised to see unfamiliar faces already seated on the tables. I swear there's a bunch of them that there were almost no food left for my relatives who came in later.

dr magsasaka said...

Are you sure no one from your staff suggested they come anyway, even without the invitation?

I find Filipinos notorious for this type of behavior, even though they have been educated abroad.

Last year I invited two of my high school classmates for an intimate dinner; I even had them fetched by my driver. The two women brought with them a colleague of theirs, to my horror, who I wouldn't know from Adam (or Eve, in this case?) without informing me beforehand. They just showed up with her in tow.

My HS classmates are deans of two prestigious colleges. I had wanted to wring their necks.

Quentin X said...

If you did not lose any cutlery then count yourself lucky. Where my parents are the uninvited guests also come with bags to hide more food in. This occasionally happens in Australia as in the case of teen-age brat Corey Worthington, whose party went out of hand last year and made him a celebrity.

Ming Meows said...

hay, ang pinoy talaga mahilig sa libre!

closet case said...

wow. that's even worse, anonymous one. a formal wedding reception. sobra naman yung mga yun!

hello dr farmer =) well, i made it clear to them that affair was strictly private. i dont know for sure that no one from the staff invited them. that's also distasteful, especially intimate dinners like that. i guess it cuts across educational attainment! =)

that would be horrible if those guests actually stole something!!! i didnt know about the corey worthington story... thanks, quent~

parang ganun na nga, m_m! salamat!

Anonymous said...

dont tolerate bad behaviour. tell them off. no love lost there

Anonymous said...

i was invited to an afternoon tea meeting at an ancestral house when somebody decided to bring along a friend. we were all seated when the hostess glowered and said "i do not remember inviting you, who are you?" i felt so sorry for the uninvited one and i felt like sliding off my chair and towing him through the kitchen entrance. not all hostesses are forgiving.