Sunday, February 3, 2008

on blogs and blogging

i received an email regarding this article about blogs that appeared in the new york review of books. quite lengthy, it seemed like a well-researched article as basis for a book, an anthology of blogs. it even contains the history of blogging. it ends with this...

Finally, I think I get the superhero fixation. It's the flying. It's the suspension of punctuation and good manners and even identity. Bloggers at their computers are Supermen in flight. They break the rules. They go into their virtual phone booths, put on their costumes, bring down their personal villains, and save the world. Anonymous or not, they inhabit that source of power and hope. Then they come back to their jobs, their dogs, and their lives, and it's like, "Dude, the ball."

Blog writing is id writing—grandiose, dreamy, private, free-associative, infantile, sexy, petty, dirty. Whether bloggers tell the truth or really are who they claim to be is another matter, but WTF. They are what they write. And you can't fake that. ;-
)


and this for me, sums up all that i do here as cc...

(special thanks to my friend who sent me this email. you know who you are! :))

6 comments:

Quentin X said...

When I was in the islands, I thrived on positive validation from my friends. It was good for the id. Most probably why I've gone blogging.
How insightful!

Anonymous said...

As a blogger, i find 3 distinct actions in blogging, one is to find time to post in ur own blog, 2nd is to read other blogs, and lastly to leave a comment in other blogs and/or anwer comments left on ur blog (ds last part, *answering comments in one's blog* i think is the most polite thing d owner of d blog should do, even if it was left on a thousand yr old post, since the one who visited took time to read ur earliest post and much more exerted effort to comment!!!)

just my thoughts on blogging... ;)

ok, i'm ready to read dat article now...

closet case said...

i thoroughly enjoyed that article, too, quent!

josh, i totally agree! and here i am putting my words into practice! thanks for sharing your thoughts on blogging!

Anonymous said...

oh my, oh my, this articl on blog is really long, i think i should devout time in reading it and more also on absorbing what it says to me, hehehe. Gani2ng time ka pala nag read ng comments mo? So hows it with hubby now??? Cge i'll try to emai u on my situationship, hehehe.

Dave Ramirez said...

can i have a copy of the article :)
quite fascinating and interesting :)

unlikely.visage@gmail.com

thanks a bunch :)

closet case said...

will try, dave! :)