Tuesday, July 28, 2009

fulfillment of teaching

i just finished a class. I was approached by one student. He profusely congratulated me for the way the class was being conducted. He said that he was already bragging about the class to the others who didnt enroll.

I accepted his remarks humbly, graciously. I felt so elated.

I'm really just a part-time teacher, only one class, an elective at that. But i still put in as much effort. I feel so strongly that the students must get the value from my class, that somehow, it would be practical enough for them to use in the real world. I enrich the course discussions with true-to-life examples, which i see the students enjoying.

i started my career as a teacher, actually, right after graduating. i was enjoying that but i felt that i couldn't live substantially off a teacher's salary. so after 4 semesters, i moved to the industry. though i never regretted the move, i knew that i would eventually find myself back in the academe.

teaching again after twenty years was so intimating for me. and i knew i had to prepare for smart, nay, brilliant students. but now i feel so much more relaxed and in control. and with the paradigm that i could learn as much from them as they could learn from me, im no longer intimidated. im getting to know my students more, seeing that yes, they seem to be participating and learning.

teaching really is a noble profession.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow ang tanda mo na pala 42++ ka na kerengkeng ka pa rin... gayahin mo si Boy Abunda committed sa isang lover... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ming Meows said...

yes sir indeed! it's like rebirth..

dr magsasaka said...

Bravo!

mackoy said...

it really feels great too kapag nakikita mo na yung mga bagay na tinuturo mo sa mga students mo eh naaapply nila sa kanilang buhay. hope i'll be given a chance na maturuan ni cc, sa kahit anung bagay. hehehehe

closet case said...

di ko maitatanging kumekerengkeng pa rin ako. nais ko rin naman maging committed...

do you teach, too, m_m?

salamat, dr magsasaka. *bow*

anong gusto mong ituro ko sa iyo, mackoy?? :)

closet case said...

queerfaith, salamat sa clarification. cool ka lang. not everybody would share the faith or the passion for the faith.

mackoy said...

kahit anu basta ba im having fun while learning. hahahaha XD

Jon said...

Hey CC! Hope life is treating you well :) Catch you on YM or on yahoo mail :) tc

John Bueno said...

Yeap! My Moms an educator... so I know...

Congrats, at least you know you are doing something special -)

HI THERE! WUT U DOIN?! :) http://www.kumagcow.com
VISIT ME TODAY PLEASE!