Friday, January 9, 2009

career advice

a young acquaintance of mine was texting me, asking if he could consult with me on a planned career change. he's 26yo, currently in the bpo industry. he seems very smart and witty. and is now interested in a career in marketing. but he wonders if he's too old for a change.

what's my take on it?

well, im flattered he wanted to ask for my advice. even though im no career guru, i guess i have my two-cents worth of thoughts on the matter.

i dont consider 26 too old for a change in career. heck, even people in their 30's change their careers, not just their jobs.

if he really wants to, he can just do it. he may suffer a pay cut, considering that his skill sets are probably not what the new career requires. so he would probably start at the bottom rung. but if he really wants marketing, he should be willing to take a few steps back and learn the ropes.

i did that myself. my original career path was teaching. i was enjoying it but i felt i wasnt going to earn much. so i opted to go to the industry, and try out marketing. i started as a lowly account executive. and since lecturers in the university had relatively higher starting pay, i took a pay cut. but it didnt matter. i knew that in time, i was going to rise up the ladder and earn more, and out-earn my co-teachers in the university.

for a lot of young people right now, i know that earning much early on in their careers could be quite 'intoxicating'. but it could be short-term sacrificed for long-term. they end up in jobs they don't really enjoy, only because they could no longer afford not to be there. or at other times, it's really just ego getting in the way.

so i will be telling my young friend that hopefully, he has not put himself in a predicament where he can no longer take a cut in salary. and that he wouldnt mind starting from the bottom. because only when he finally gets that job which would satisfy him, fulfill him will the perks follow. =)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, 26 is definitely not considered old for a career change. In fact, when I was hiring subordinates before I would look at 26 as ideal in terms of hiring. The brashness of youth starts to dissipate but the enthusiasm is still there.

Heck, if we talk about career changes. I quit my work at 30 to start a business in a totally new industry.

You are never too old to try something new. There is a reason why that saying is a cliche.

Ming Meows said...

it's always a risk
life is full of risks anways

Quentin X said...

Reminds me of one of my patients. He changed from engineering to being a church minister. Sometimes it isn't just about the money.

Anonymous said...

the money will come, eventually. what's important is that you like what you're doing so you'll enjoy working and perform better.

- fenestrations

Unknown said...

that's interesting advice. I am currently working in the academe. although i love my job, i am also dying to get out and to enter the HR industry. however, personal reasons are my biggest obstacle right now, and i wanted it so much to end.

closet case said...

cliche but true! thanks, tony!

definitely. but risks need to be managed, ming. and that's where art and science come together. =)

it couldnt be just about the money. right you are, quent. otherwise, it will be a lonely world.

hi fenestrations. money follow, right?

i hope that those personal reasons sort themselves out, jamie. im sure you'd be so much more effective doing what you are passionate about!

Unknown said...

im a reader of your blog for a year now.. i know its too much for you, but still i will ask you this favor, i need help on my business and need your advice. Can you send me an email so i can correspond with you? thanks sir

d said...

I'm having the same dilemma. Same with your friend I'm in the BPO and wanted to shift career (marketing/advertising/events organizing). I'm also considering the pay cut, my skills and my knowledge about the industries. I'm afraid that my knowledge and skills wont suffice for me to have a promising job in those fields. :(

Btw, I just saw your blog a week ago and I like it so much. I'm not really a fan of reading blogs but your's is so great and I can't stop reading it, I even recommend it to some of my friends.. :D


much love,
D